The history of East Northport Fire Dept. began on March 14, 1908, where a small group of men gathered at the Old Dixon Hotel for the purpose of organizing a fire department.
In May 1908, an application for a charter was made and this was granted and recorded June 6, 1908. A lot was purchased on the corner of Ninth Avenue and Larkfield Rd. In the spring of 1909 ground was broken for the making of a Firehouse. The labor was donated by members of the department.
The first social event of the department was a Strawberry Festival. The proceeds of this event went to the building fund. On August 18th a dance was held celebrating the completion and opening of the firehouse.
In May 1923, a petition was drawn up for the purpose of forming a Fire District. This was passed by the County Board of Riverhead on October 30, 1923. A public meeting of legal voters was called on July 30th for the purpose of electing three Fire Commissioners and a Treasure. H.B. Whitehead was elected for three years, Mr. Fred Corsa was elected for two years and Mr. Fred Knell was elected for one year. Mr. Herman Richter was Treasure for three years.Upon completion of forming the Fire District, members of the East Northport Fire Company NO. 1 turned over to the district all apparatus and equipment. That is when R.S. Leighton became the Chief of the East Northport Fire Department. Through funds and contributions raised by the volunteers, an ambulance was purchased. The volunteers found themselves called upon for all kinds of emergencies. Our community was growing in leaps and bounds and with it came more and more demands and responsibilities for the local department to fulfill. Thus a small and dedicated group of men found themselves on virtually 24 hour call.
Over 100 years later, The East Northport Fire Department has grown itself in both members and apparatus. Along with Headquarters located on Larkfield Rd is Station 1 located on Clay Pitts Rd. Both houses combined have 120 men and women serving our community in various ways. The Department responds to over 2700 emergency calls a year with 1 Tower Ladder, 5 Engines, 4 ALS Ambulances, Paramedic Responder (24/7), BLS Responder and Fire Police Truck.. Our many men and women have trained countless number of hours to keep up with today’s technology.
Marking 100 Year of Service
Marking 100 years of continuous service to its community, the East Northport Fire Department's centennial celebration kicked off at 4 pm on June 7, 2008 with 30 Nassau and Suffolk County fire departments marching behind their equipment up Larkfield Road to Headquarters.
"Based on the parade's theme of "old and new," each participating department presented its oldest and newest trucks", said Ex-Chief Bruce Gosik. A celebration was held at the conlusion of the Parade at Headquarters where all the residents were invited.
"We also honored 60-year member, Ex-Chief Leroy Kennedy, who was our grand marshal for the parade,"
Pictured is Suffolk County Legislator Steven Stern, Ex-Chief Leroy Kennedy and Ex-Chief Bruce Gosik